As Kate likes to say, she doesn’t lose sight of the forest in the trees. She recognizes that each of her clients has their own unique legal hurdles and she can contextualize their legal issues within the broader picture of their lives and businesses.
For many of Kate’s clients, those legal issues include tort liability and other commercial grounds, such as breach of contract. As a member of our Business Litigation Service Group, she often defends clients in the insurance industry.
Kate represents clients in privacy related class action cases, many of which involve violations of the Illinois Biometric Privacy Act (BIPA). She represents companies in issues related to the use of fingerprint or hand scans for employee timekeeping, and the use of voice verification technology.
Outside of her legal practice, Kate is an active supporter of the PKD Foundation, which seeks treatment and a cure for polycystic kidney disease.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association
Resources & Insights
In the Media
- Happy Public Domain Day!Happy Public Domain Day!
Public Domain Day is one of the lesser known winter holidays celebrated by the elite few – artists of all sorts and copyright attorneys. We either mourn the passing of works into the public domain after decades of keeping them safe and warm or hail the expiration of long-held copyrights in anticipation of new, insightful, adaptive, and creative uses of these works and characters.
- The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for IvermectinThe Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin
Read Edna McLain’s recent article, “The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin” in IDC Quarterly!
- Keeping an Eye on PHI: OCR Guidance Concerning Permissible Disclosures of Reproductive Health PHI following DobbsKeeping an Eye on PHI: OCR Guidance Concerning Permissible Disclosures of Reproductive Health PHI following Dobbs
Learn the new guidance post-Dobbs for patient’s health information concerning abortion and other sexual and reproductive health services.
- Hold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In EffectHold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In Effect
Keep up to date with both the federal TCPA requirements and several state-level statutes!