Laura enjoys building positive and lasting relationships through defending and representing medical providers, including long-term care facilities, hospitals, individual practitioners, and health care systems. She handles medical malpractice and breach of contract claims through the Medical Review Panel process and in state courts, where she has significant experience in motions practice and mediation. Laura also represents clients in administrative hearings and guides clients through regulatory actions and investigations. She also assists health care providers in guardianship actions and represents individual practitioners before the state licensing board.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Indianapolis Bar Association; Defense Research Institute; Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana; Indiana Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ISHRM); American Health Lawyers Association, Post-Acute and Long Term Services Practice Group Leadership Development Program, 2017-2018; Indiana State Bar Association Leadership Development Academy, Class of 2019; Amundsen Davis Committee for Diversity and Inclusion
- Indiana State Bar Association: Member; Indiana State Bar Association Leadership Development Academy, Class of 2019
Resources & Insights
- SmithAmundsen Health Care Alert,
- SmithAmundsen Health Care Alert,
- Recognizing and Reporting Abuse and Neglect in Skilled Nursing FacilitiesVarious Long-Term Care Facility Administrators and Providers, Seminar; Indiana,
- Chicago, IL,
- Privacy and Security Considerations for Community Mental Health ProvidersIndiana Council of Community Mental Health Centers, Seminar; Indianapolis, IN,
- Indiana Healthcare Association,
- What the SEC’s New Strategic Plan Means for the Financial Industry and InvestorsWhat the SEC’s New Strategic Plan Means for the Financial Industry and Investors
On August 24, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) released a draft of its strategic plan for 2022 – 2026, outlining its key initiatives for the next four years. The SEC’s mission is to protect investors, maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets, and facilitate capital formation. Its strategic plan is intended to further that mission by laying out goals that will guide its policy and decision making.
- The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for IvermectinThe Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin
Read Edna McLain’s recent article, “The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin” in IDC Quarterly!
- Hold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In EffectHold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In Effect
Keep up to date with both the federal TCPA requirements and several state-level statutes!
- Illinois Pre-Judgment Interest Statute Declared UnconstitutionalIllinois Pre-Judgment Interest Statute Declared Unconstitutional
On May 27, 2022, Judge Marcia Maras in the Circuit Court of Cook County issued a memorandum, holding Illinois’s recently enacted prejudgment interest statute unconstitutional, and holding that the legislation violated both the right of trial by jury and the prohibition against special legislation.
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2006
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2002, cum laude