David Johnson has represented commercial and residential construction owners, developers, architects, construction managers, general contractors, and specialty subcontractors for more than twenty years. He has extensive experience in defending property damage, personal injury, and construction defect claims in mediation, arbitration and litigation. He has lectured on construction claims and construction defect and has prosecuted and defended surety bond and mechanics lien claims.
David’s forte in construction litigation is crane accidents involving personal injury and property damage claims under general liability and inland marine policies. In an effort to better understand the technical aspects of the crane and rigging industry, David became a Certified Rigger/Signalperson with extensive training in the crane and rigging disciplines. He defends crane and rigging clients in personal injury, property damage and product liability cases.
David is proficient in OSHA emergency response, compliance and appeals. He presents webinars and seminars and authors articles on OSHA’s regulations. He has represented clients in OSHA investigations of fatalities in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kansas, and Oklahoma.
Outside the area of construction law, David represents clients in copyright, trademark, and unfair competition litigation that arise out of general liability advertising policies. He obtained a Master’s Degree (LL.M.) with honors in intellectual property law in 2001. He has represented clients in cases involving copyright and trademark infringement and unfair trade practices in the United States District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern District of Wisconsin, and Eastern District of New York.
Membership & Involvement
- Legal Association Memberships: American Bar Association: Forum Committee on the Construction Industry; Defense Research Institute; Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys; American Bar Association Section on Intellectual Property Law and Subcommittees on copyright and trademark; American Intellectual Property Law Association and Subcommittees on copyright and trademark; Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago and Subcommittees on copyright and trademark; Illinois State Bar Association and Subcommittee on Intellectual Property Law; Chicago Bar Association and Subcommittee on Intellectual Property Law
- Trade & Professional Association Memberships: Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association; Association of Crane & Rigging Professionals: Serves as Member of the Board of Directors, Serves as Chair of the Regulations Committee; Associated Wire Rope Fabricators; American Society of Civil Engineers: Serves as Member of Crane Safety and Construction Committee; American Society of Mechanical Engineers: Serves as Contributing Member on ASME P30: Planning for the Use of Cranes
- Crane & Rigging Training: The Crosby Group, Fundamentals of Rigging, Rigging Trainer Development; Mobile Crane Safety, Crane Institute of America; Mobile Crane Inspector, Crane Institute of America; Rigging Equipment Inspector, Crane Institute of America; Master Rigger, Industrial Training International; Crane Accident Investigation, Industrial Training International
- Fundamentals of Rigging Engineering – Industrial Training International: RE-120-Crane & Derrick Engineering; RE-130-Rigging & Load Handling Equipment; RE-140-Alternative Load Handling Equipment; RE-150-Lift Planning Procedure; RE-160-Specialized Transport; RE-170-Standards & Regulations for Load Handling Equipment
- Martindale-Hubbell BV® Distinguished™ rated
Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in Litigation - Insurance: 2021; 2022, 2023, 2024
Resources & Insights
- SmithAmundsen OSHA Alert,
- SmithAmundsen OSHA Alert,
- Codes and Standards in Construction LitigationSociety of Illinois Construction Attorneys; Chicago, IL,
- Regulations and Standards: The Legal Realities of Crane LitigationAmerican Society of Civil Engineers, Construction Institute Summit; Orlando, FL,
- Construction Law Update, 2014-2015Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys, Annual Case Law Update,
- OSHA Regulations and ASME Standards for Cranes in ConstructionAmerican Society of Civil Engineers CI Summit,
- Crane Risk Management: Assignment of OSHA and ASME Responsibilities for Crane Operations on Construction SitesZurich and ENR Webinar,
- Responsibilities for Crane Operations in Construction: Regulations, Standards, and LiabilityNational Association of Surety Bond Producers Webinar,
- Responsibilities for Crane Operations in Construction Under OSHA and ASME and Their Impact on Crane LitigationAssociation of Crane and Rigging Professionals’ General Assembly and Workshop,
- Responsibilities for Crane Operations under OSHA 1926.1400 and ASME B30.5-2007 and Their Impact on Crane LitigationChartis Insurance Company Webinar,
- Understanding OSHA's New Crane Regulations and ASME's Responsibilities for Crane OperationsDawes Crane Rental & Rigging, Inc.'s Annual Safety Meeting,
- Crane Litigation Under the New OSHA Rules (1926.1400) and ASME Standards (B30.5-2007)OSHA's New Crane Regulations Seminar/Webinar,
- OSHA Provides Guidance on New Injury Reporting ProceduresMasterlink, Issue 110, 2016
- Employer's Responsiblility for Training Employees Under 29 C.F.R. 1926. 1400Masterlink, Issue 109,
- Firm News,
- Firm News,
- 105 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America105 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America
We are extremely excited to congratulate 105 of our attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America.
- 43 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202343 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Congratulate to our 43 attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023!
The John Marshall Law School, LL.M. - Intellectual Property Law, with honors
The John Marshall Law School, J.D., with distinction and Order of John Marshall
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., with distinction and distinction in the major