In today’s rapidly changing health care market it is essential to have legal counsel that understands the business side of the health care field as well as the strategic direction of our health care system. Reimbursement, regulatory and delivery system changes are creating opportunities for new partnerships and clinical integrations that are often challenged by technology or regulatory constraints. In this evolving environment, David’s clients appreciate having an attorney who understands their business and their goals, and how to navigate legal and compliance challenges.
As a member of the firm’s Health Care Service Group, David represents community mental health centers, hospitals, physicians, and long term care facilities in a variety of matters. He regularly assists clients with regulatory compliance, reimbursement and audit appeals, licensure enforcement actions, internal investigations, clinical and financial integration transactions, commercial and corporate transactions, and nonprofit corporate governance. He has given presentations on a variety of legal, regulatory compliance and governance issues for local, state and national legal associations as well as health care provider groups and trade associations.
Outside the office David volunteers and supports a variety of civic, service and cultural organizations. He is an emeritus board member of the Phoenix Theatre of Indianapolis and the Cope Environmental Center in Centerville, Indiana. He is a current board member of the Indiana Recycling Coalition and the Coalition for Our Immigrant Neighbors, and serves as legal counsel and board member for the Kurt Vonnegut Museum and Library. He is an active supporter of organizations that expand opportunities for individuals who are marginalized due to disabilities and other adversities. David served many years on the Board of Directors of Tangram, an organization that helps individuals with disabilities live actively and independently in their communities. He is a Team Leader for the Wheeler Mission Team and serves as a member of the Indianapolis Advisory Board for Back on My Feet, which provides community support and resources for homeless individuals.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Indiana State Bar Association, Healthcare and Medicine Law Section; American Health Lawyers Association, Behavioral Health Task Force
- Fellow: Indiana Bar Foundation; Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Legal Counsel: Kurt Vonnegut Museum and Library
- Board of Directors: Indiana Recycling Coalition; Kurt Vonnegut Museum and Library; Coalition for our Immigrant Neighbors
- Indianapolis Advisory Board: Back on My Feet
- Emeritus Member: The Cope Environmental Center and The Phoenix Theatre
- Selected Premier Health Care Lawyers Exclusive Featured Attorney for Indianapolis 2019, 2020
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Health Care Law: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to in The Best Lawyers in America© Litigation - Health Care: 2022, 2023
- Selected to the Indiana Super Lawyers list: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Indiana State Bar Association, Community Service Award: 2015
- Back on My Feet, Volunteer of the Year Award: 2015
- Mayor of Indianapolis Community Service Award: 2013
Resources & Insights
- SmithAmundsen Health Care Alert,
- SmithAmundsen Health Care Alert,
- Indiana State Department of Health Issues Guidance on Liability for Healthcare Providers and Facilities Responding to an EmergencySmithAmundsen Health Care Alert,
- The CARES Act – Highlights for Health Care Providers: Telehealth, Regulatory Relief, Reimbursement & Program SupportSmithAmundsen Health Care Alert,
- Indiana Council of Community Mental Health Centers, Webcast,
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast; Indianapolis, IN,
- Friends of Indiana Mental Health Centers,
- Hiring, Background Checks, and Medical Credentialing in Health Care Organizations: What You Must Know in 2018SmithAmundsen Seminar, Chicago, IL; Webinar,
- Audit Trends: Production of Records Related to Audit RequestsClient Seminar; Indianapolis, IN,
- Compliance Hotspots: Audits, Whistleblowers and the False Claims ActIndiana Council of Community Mental Health Centers, Inc. PAC Meeting; Indianapolis, IN,
- Part II Programs & Clinical IntegrationClient Seminar; Indianapolis, IN,
- Signing the Right Contract: Transition to Practice - Fellow/Senior Resident WorkshopIndiana University School of Medicine; Indianapolis, IN,
- To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Mental Health Law Mandatory Reporting and Duty to WarnIndiana Coalition of Court Administered Alcohol and Drug Programs (ICCADS) Annual Meeting and Training Conference; Nashville, IN,
- To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Mental Health Law Mandatory Reporting and Duty to WarnSycamore Springs, Lafayette, IN,
- Valle Vista Health System; Greenwood, IN,
- New and Different Business Partnerships in Long Term Care - Preparing to be AccountableCommittee Meeting, LTC Risk Forum, Las Vegas, NV,
- Ensuring Effective CMHC ManagementSeminar, Friends of Indiana Mental Health Centers,
- To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Mental Health Law Mandatory Reporting and Duty to WarnClient Presentation,
- Special Disaster Planning and Liability Considerations for Health Care Work PlacesICLEF Seminar,
- Indiana Council Behavioral Health Newsletter,
Education on Demand
Federal and State authorities continue to issue guidance, waivers and orders affecting Centers' operations, HR functions, and how services are delivered.
- Firm News,
- 6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of 6 attorneys on the 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers® and 2022 Indiana Rising StarsSM lists. Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- 41 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202241 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- 5 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists5 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of 5 attorneys on the 2021 Indiana Super Lawyers® and 2021 Indiana Rising StarsSM lists. Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- 49 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202349 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Congratulate to our 49 attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023!
Boston College Law School, J.D., 1981
University of Wisconsin, M.A., 1976
Earlham College, B.A., 1975