Katie has successfully litigated complex cases on behalf of corporate clients for the past 25 years. Katie routinely counsels her clients on insurance-related matters concerning policy drafting, claims handling, litigation and dispute resolution. Katie advises her clients and advocates on their behalf on claims involving underlying toxic and mass tort claims, environmental claims, property damage claims, product liability claims, auto and transportation claims, professional liability claims and extra-contractual claims. Katie has significant experience in civil litigation and mediation involving insurance coverage disputes representing small and larger insurers in actions nationwide for damages and declaratory relief. She provides counsel to clients at all stages of the claim and litigation including identifying ways to mitigate risk and minimize exposure. Katie also has a general litigation background involving general commercial and contractual disputes. Katie is a member of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society in which membership is limited to 3,500 Fellows, or one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
When not working, Katie spends her time with her husband, three young children and dog. She volunteers within the community, her children’s’ school and a charitable organization composed of developers, architects, general contractors, suppliers and subcontractors in the Chicagoland area who bundle their resources and abilities to provide construction services to those that can least afford them.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association; Defense Research Institute; Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Junior Board Member: Contractors Rallied About Servicing and Helping (CRASH), 2005- Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List: 2010, 2011, 2012
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Litigation - Insurance: 2023
Resources & Insights
- Firm News,
- 28 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen,
The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1997, cum laude
Executive Managing Editor, The John Marshall Journal of Computer & Information Law
Miami University, B.A., 1994