Early in his career, Paul came up with the prosecution’s theory in a case involving a motor vehicle and bicycle accident that helped his client reach a resolution. At the time it was the largest settlement in Illinois history. Paul’s previous experience as a plaintiff’s lawyer gives him an interesting perspective which allows him to advance his clients’ interests in cases that present complex issues and potential for significant exposure.
Today, Paul defends clients in premises liability and claims arising out of trucking, transportation and logistics negligence. His clients are motor carriers, logistics providers, retailers and product manufacturers. Additionally, as a former medical malpractice defense attorney, Paul has a deep understanding of medicine and the effect that a plaintiff’s underlying medical issues can have on claims.
Outside the office, Paul spends much of his time chasing around his young daughter and, when he can find time, riding his bicycle. He serves as vice president of his neighborhood community council, as a community representative on the Ebinger Elementary Local School Council, and is a member of the auxiliary board of Kids Above All, a nonprofit dedicated to providing services to children and young adults through early childhood learning, foster care, adoption services and housing for homeless teens and young adults.
Membership & Involvement
Member: Illinois State Bar Association, Kids Above All Auxiliary Board
Volunteer: Edison Park Community Council, Ebinger Elementary Local School Council
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List: 2022
Resources & Insights
- NEW Illinois Law Limiting the Use of Criminal Convictions: How it Impacts Hiring in the Transportation IndustrySmithAmundsen Transportation Alert,
- Executive Order Creates Immunity for Illinois EMS Providers and EMTs during the COVID-19 Disaster absent Willful Misconduct or Gross NegligenceSmithAmundsen Transportation Alert,
- 35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists35 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Congratulations to all of our attorneys named to the 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2022 Illinois Rising Stars lists!
- NEW Illinois Law Limiting the Use of Criminal Convictions: How it Impacts Hiring in the Transportation IndustryNEW Illinois Law Limiting the Use of Criminal Convictions: How it Impacts Hiring in the Transportation Industry
With Governor Pritzker’s signature to Senate Bill 1480 on March 23, 2021, the Illinois Human Rights Act (IHRA) now prohibits any employer’s use or reliance on a criminal conviction to support an adverse employment action outside of certain narrow exceptions.