Charles believes that sometimes the most expeditious and economical means of solving a problem can be indirect. With that in mind, he is able to assist his clients in a multitude of facets. From public relations issues to matters with a political impact, Charles is able to identify broader ramifications to arrive at a resolution that is both careful and precise.
As a member of the firm’s Corporate & Securities Service Group, Charles advises clients in general business matters including contracting, corporate governance, owner/shareholder relations, tax assessments, and licensing agreements. Charles has also extensively counseled nonprofit corporations on entity formation, qualification and preservation of tax exempt status, merger, and dissolution.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Fellows of the Wisconsin Law Foundation
- Board of Advisors: National Sports Law Institute, Marquette University
- Board of Advisors: Marquette University National Sports Law Institute
- Board of Directors: Wisconsin Museum of Nature and Culture
- Board of Directors Chairman, President: Pettit National Ice Center
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© - Real Estate: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
Resources & Insights
- Speaking Engagement, Marquette University’s National Sports Law Institute and Sports Law Society, Seminar; Milwaukee, WI,
- What the SEC’s New Strategic Plan Means for the Financial Industry and InvestorsWhat the SEC’s New Strategic Plan Means for the Financial Industry and Investors
On August 24, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) released a draft of its strategic plan for 2022 – 2026, outlining its key initiatives for the next four years. The SEC’s mission is to protect investors, maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets, and facilitate capital formation. Its strategic plan is intended to further that mission by laying out goals that will guide its policy and decision making.
- The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for IvermectinThe Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin
Read Edna McLain’s recent article, “The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin” in IDC Quarterly!
- Hold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In EffectHold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In Effect
Keep up to date with both the federal TCPA requirements and several state-level statutes!
- Illinois Pre-Judgment Interest Statute Declared UnconstitutionalIllinois Pre-Judgment Interest Statute Declared Unconstitutional
On May 27, 2022, Judge Marcia Maras in the Circuit Court of Cook County issued a memorandum, holding Illinois’s recently enacted prejudgment interest statute unconstitutional, and holding that the legislation violated both the right of trial by jury and the prohibition against special legislation.
University of California Los Angeles, J.D., 1973
Pomona College, B.A., 1970