A prominent plaintiff’s attorney likes to remind Gerry that he is the only lawyer to win a summary judgment against him in a wrongful death matter. That case, which Gerry also won in the appellate court, is just one of many construction negligence cases he has successfully litigated. From representing clients in trial courts, to arguing before the Illinois Appellate and Supreme Courts, Gerry has been involved in cases that have shaped the legal landscape for the entire state.
Gerry gives his clients a complete analysis of a situation and provides options that may not always seem obvious. He finds that one extra fact or argument that no one else has discovered and it’s often the key to success. He defends clients in catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death matters, as well as representing clients in mechanic's lien and bond claims, contract disputes, insurance coverage and employment disputes.
Gerry started his career as a staffer in a politician's office, which was a great education in persuasion, management and the law. It ultimately set him on the path towards law school, which he attended at night while working full time.
Outside the office he is a drummer in the Shannon Rovers Irish Pipe Band, the official pipe band of the Chicago St. Patrick’s Day Parade, and is active in a variety of charitable and community service organizations.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association
- Vice President: St. Elizabeth of the Trinity Holy Name Society
Resources & Insights
- SmithAmundsen Construction Alert,
- California Court Opens the Litigation Floodgate Re: COVID-19 Exposure in the WorkplaceCalifornia Court Opens the Litigation Floodgate Re: COVID-19 Exposure in the Workplace
In See’s Candies v. Ek, a California Appellate Court ruled that the plaintiff’s claims against her employer for negligence were not preempted by the exclusivity provisions of the California Workers’ Compensation Act; thus, exposing the employer to potentially unprecedented civil liability.
- Attorney Gerald T. Rohrer, Jr. Joins SmithAmundsen as a Partner in ChicagoAttorney Gerald T. Rohrer, Jr. Joins SmithAmundsen as a Partner in Chicago
SmithAmundsen is excited to welcome Gerald T. Rohrer, Jr. as a Partner in our Chicago office.