Matt’s first client was his 4th grade classmate, who was accused of copying homework. After an afternoon of gathering evidence and cross examining other students, Matt proved his classmate’s innocence to the teacher and the rest of the class. That’s when he first became interested in trying cases. He has had a keen sense for litigation ever since.
Matt uses these skills to represent a broad range of businesses and individuals in complex litigation. As a member of the Transportation and Logistics Service Group, he represents trucking and transportation clients in catastrophic truck accident cases. As a member of the Healthcare Service Group, he represents healthcare systems, healthcare providers, and nursing homes against claims of malpractice and negligence. As a member of the Professional Liability Service Group, Matt represents architects, attorneys, accountants and other professionals, often in bet-the-company litigation. Finally, Matt represents businesses of all sizes in complex business and commercial litigation, including prosecuting and defending against claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, misrepresentation, and other business torts.
However, Matt also understands that litigation is not always the most cost-effective solution. Therefore, he also provides outside general counsel services to businesses of all sizes, partnering with them to avoid lawsuits before they begin and to minimize costs once a lawsuit becomes unavoidable.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Former Associate Editor: Valparaiso University Law Review
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation: 2022, 2023
- Selected to Wisconsin Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2022
Resources & Insights
- Firm News, Amundsen Davis,
- Firm News,
- Firm News,
- 38 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202238 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- Amundsen Davis Attorneys Included in the 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListAmundsen Davis Attorneys Included in the 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
Amundsen Davis is pleased to announce the inclusion of 22 attorneys on the 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® and 2022 Wisconsin Rising Stars lists.
- 45 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202345 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Congratulate to our 45 attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023!
- SmithAmundsen Promotes Seven Attorneys to PartnerSmithAmundsen Promotes Seven Attorneys to Partner
Congratulations to Luke Behnke, Amber Bishop, John Hayes, Matthew Kees, Elizabeth Lum, Paul Mackowski & Jack Sanker!
Valparaiso University Law School, J.D., 2013, cum laude
Beloit College, B.A., 2010, cum laude