In Linda’s opinion, there is no higher calling for a lawyer than to represent companies and persons in court who are facing life-changing events and need guidance, advice and someone to speak up on their behalf. Linda Pence is a practicing trial attorney, beginning her legal career with the U.S. Department of Justice in 1974. Over the last 45 years she has gained extensive experience in the investigation, prosecution and defense of corporations and individuals in white collar criminal matters including mortgage and consumer fraud, environmental offenses, Medicare/Medicaid and health care fraud, kickback schemes, antitrust violations, bribery, bid-rigging, embezzlement, official misconduct, RICO, insurance fraud, bank fraud, customs and currency violations, securities fraud, and other financial and business improprieties.
As a trial attorney with the United States Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. for nine years (1974-1983), Linda handled complex civil and regulatory issues (price and allocation controls on petroleum, defense contract audits, housing discrimination claims) and white collar and criminal investigations and prosecutions. She was Chief, Special Projects Branch, and Deputy Chief, Government Fraud Section. She was responsible for supervising criminal investigative task forces in Florida and Puerto Rico probing mortgage fraud, boiler-rooms (telephone solicitation fraud schemes scamming investors), and health care fraud. While at the Justice Department, she received the Attorney General’s Special Commendation Award and Attorney’s Award from the Association of Federal Investigators (resulting from her supervision over a task force on mortgage fraud).
In addition to criminal litigation, she has handled a variety of complex civil and regulatory matters, including cases involving civil RICO, civil fraud, environmental clean-ups, antitrust claims, insurance, banking, discrimination, intellectual property, patents, SEC enforcement proceedings, franchises, and business disputes.
In 2008, Linda was the Democratic candidate for Indiana attorney general. She is a former instructor at the FBI Academy, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Offices of Inspector General and Legal Education Institute and Department of Justice. She is past president, 2003-2009, of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Merit Board and its predecessor Marion County Sheriff’s Merit Board, a founding member and past president of the board of the Indiana Federal Community Defenders Inc., and co-secretary and member of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Motorcycle Drill Team.
Membership & Involvement
- Co-Chair: American Bar Association Complex Crimes Committee, Litigation Section; member of the Litigation and Criminal Justice Sections
- Co-Secretary: Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Motorcycle Drill Team
- Board of Visitors: Indiana University Law School - Indianapolis
- Member: Indiana State Bar Association, Seventh Circuit Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, Indianapolis Chapter, Indianapolis Bar Association, District of Columbia Bar Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- 2013 Indiana University McKinney School of Law Alumna of the Year
- Received the Indiana Civil Liberties Union Richard S. Zweig Corporate Attorney Award (1997)
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: Indiana, Litigation: General Commercial, Band 3
- Selected to Best Lawyers® in Criminal Defense: White-Collar "Lawyer of the Year" in Indianapolis: 2024
- Selected to the Indiana Super Lawyers list: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in White Collar Criminal Defense: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation: 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Resources & Insights
In the Media
- Firm News,
- Congratulations to the Amundsen Davis Attorneys Included on the 2023 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsFirm News, Amundsen Davis,
- Firm News,
- 6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of 6 attorneys on the 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers® and 2022 Indiana Rising StarsSM lists. Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- 106 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America106 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America
We are extremely excited to congratulate 106 of our attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America.
- Congratulations to the Amundsen Davis Attorneys Included on the 2023 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsCongratulations to the Amundsen Davis Attorneys Included on the 2023 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Congratulations to the 5 Amundsen Davis attorneys who were included on the 2023 Indiana Super Lawyers® and 2023 Indiana Rising StarsSM lists.
- 44 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202344 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Congratulate to our 44 attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023!
Indiana University, B.A., 1971
Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 1974