Tom counsels clients on the strategic protection, licensing and enforcement of intellectual property rights both domestically and abroad. His experience includes preparing and prosecuting many U.S. and international patent applications and securing patent rights for clients in relation to a wide variety of technologies, including engine, construction, printing, commercial and residential heating and cooling, and computer-related technologies. Tom has supervised and conducted intellectual property due diligence investigations for corporate mergers, acquisitions and refinancings. He also drafts and negotiates patent license, nondisclosure and joint development agreements.
As a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Service Group, Tom represents clients in a range of industries, including transportation, commercial and residential kitchen and washroom, technologies, and industrial manufacturing. Tom leads and enjoys participating in patent review committees charged with strategically evaluating inventions for possible patent prosecution. He advises clients on policing and protecting copyright, trade dress, trade secret and trademark rights. Tom is active in the Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (WIPLA) and the Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (WAMIC), presenting to members regarding developments with Insurance Data Security Model Law.
As a member of the Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and FinTech group, Tom has experience counseling clients in regard to patent and other intellectual property protection, and related contractual issues, in a wide array of software-implemented technologies, including the Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML). Tom is registered to practice as a patent attorney before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He is also a member of the Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Service Group.
Membership & Involvement
- Board of Governors: Wisconsin State Bar, representing District 2 (Milwaukee), 2021-2023; State Bar Board of Governors Liaison Public Utilities Section Board, present
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO): Chair, IP Professionals with Disabilities and Advocates Resource Group of the IPO Diversity & Inclusion Committee, present; Member, International Patent Law & Trade Committee, present; Member, Trade Secrets Committee, present
- Member: Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (WAMIC); Wisconsin State Bar, Past Member of the Intellectual Property Law Section Board; Knights of Columbus, 4th Degree Member
- Past President: Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2005-2006
- Past Co-Chair: Licensing Executive Society International, Wisconsin Chapter
Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Patent Law: 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Litigation - Intellectual Property: 2024
Resources & Insights
In the Media
- SmithAmundsen Intellectual Property Alert,
- Insurance Cyber SecuritySpeaking Engagement, Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies; Stevens Point, WI,
- Independent Pharmacy Cooperative; Webcast,
- Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, Leadership Retreat; Lake Geneva, WI,
- Hybrid, Remote and Post-Pandemic (Eventually!) Return to In-Person Work Arrangements: A Panel Discussion on Key Topics for Those with DisabilitiesIntellectual Property Owners Association, Webcast,
- Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (WAMIC); Stevens Point, Wisconsin,
- Your Employee Asked to Work Remotely Indefinitely (or Short Term): Important Legal Considerations Before You Say YesEvent, Amundsen Davis, Webcast,
- Handling Poor Employee Performance & Behavior in a Post-Pandemic Workforce without Inviting a LawsuitIndependent Pharmacy Cooperative; Webcast,
- Irontek, Webcast,
- Intellectual Property Primer and Key IP Protection ConsiderationsMarquette University; Milwaukee, WI,
- Startup Week; Beloit, WI,
- Firm News,
- Firm News,
- Diversity, Inclusion and Allyship in the WorkplaceDiversity, Inclusion and Allyship in the Workplace
- 103 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America103 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America
We are extremely excited to congratulate 103 of our attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2024 in America.
- 43 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202343 Amundsen Davis Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Congratulate to our 43 attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023!
- Tom Pienkos Weighs In on 2023 Trends in Intellectual PropertyTom Pienkos Weighs In on 2023 Trends in Intellectual Property
Wisconsin Lawyer recently published an article, "Wisconsin Legal Trends 2023" where twenty-five Wisconsin lawyers and others in the legal profession weighed in on trends in 17 different practice areas.