Rusty is a trusted advisor to financial institutions and has been for more than 40 years. He represents banks, hedge funds and private equity firms in bankruptcy and insolvency matters, foreclosures and commercial litigation. Rusty has foreclosed upon and liquidated just about every type of asset, from $100 million real estate developments, to Bitcoin Ant-Boxes and aquatic mammals. Rusty serves as general counsel to an equipment finance company, a wholly owned subsidiary of a Midwest bank holding company.
Outside the office, Rusty is accomplished in racquet sports, having been ranked number 1 in the Midwest in his age group in tennis by the USTA and has recently won national tennis tournaments in Indianapolis (2018), Alberqueque (2019) and Fort Lauderdale (2022). He also won two state championships in his age group in Pickleball (2021 and 2022) and was the number 1 seed in the national platform tennis championship in New Jersey (2022).
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Wisconsin Bar Association; Milwaukee Bar Association
- Selected to Best Lawyers® in America - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to Wisconsin Super Lawyers List: 2005
- Happy Public Domain Day!Happy Public Domain Day!
Public Domain Day is one of the lesser known winter holidays celebrated by the elite few – artists of all sorts and copyright attorneys. We either mourn the passing of works into the public domain after decades of keeping them safe and warm or hail the expiration of long-held copyrights in anticipation of new, insightful, adaptive, and creative uses of these works and characters.
- The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for IvermectinThe Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin
Read Edna McLain’s recent article, “The Challenge of Serving in Black Robes, Not White Coats: The Second District Affirms the Denial of Patients’ Requests for Ivermectin” in IDC Quarterly!
- Hold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In EffectHold the Phones: State-level Telemarketing Laws In Effect
Keep up to date with both the federal TCPA requirements and several state-level statutes!
- Illinois Pre-Judgment Interest Statute Declared UnconstitutionalIllinois Pre-Judgment Interest Statute Declared Unconstitutional
On May 27, 2022, Judge Marcia Maras in the Circuit Court of Cook County issued a memorandum, holding Illinois’s recently enacted prejudgment interest statute unconstitutional, and holding that the legislation violated both the right of trial by jury and the prohibition against special legislation.
Southwestern University School of Law, J.D.
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, B.A.