After more than 40 years of practicing law, both in private practice and serving as in-house counsel for two large money center banks, Madalyn has acquired a heightened sensitivity to client service as well as an understanding of the financial industry.
Madalyn focuses her practice on commercial real estate transactions and the representation of financial institutions in a wide variety of commercial lending transactions. She assists bank clients in structuring complex financing, resolving issues pertaining to taking real estate as collateral, and the recovery of problem commercial loans. Her experience includes the representation of lenders in asset-based lending, middle-market lending, large corporate and commercial syndications, floor plan financing, aircraft financing, construction financing, loans to ESOP's, bond financing, letters of credit, real estate acquisition financing, loan participations, mortgage warehouse financing, agricultural lending, and loans that are part of commercial mortgage backed securities and defeasance transactions. She also represents clients in work-outs and restructurings.
Madalyn’s clients include a variety of financial institutions across the country as well as commercial real estate companies and investors involved in the purchase, sale, management, and leasing of industrial and commercial properties and multi and single family projects.
In addition to her passion for law, Madalyn is also passionate about the arts. Prior to law school she studied journalism and vocal performance, and appeared in twelve operas while studying voice at Indiana University’s prestigious music school. Madalyn is a published author of three mystery novels and one book of humorous essays. Outside the office she frequently takes in live musical and theatre performances, and enjoys classic movies and hiking.
Membership & Involvement
- Member: Executive Women in Finance; Indy Commercial Real Estate Women (Indy CREW)
- Fellow and State Chair: American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Instructor: Annual RMA Lending School
- Indianapolis Bar Association: Chair of Grievance Committee; Past Treasurer; Past Chair of the Business Section; Former Board Member
- Distinguished Fellow and Former Board Member: Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- The Fishers Historical Society: Board Member
- Former Chair: Community Organizations Legal Assistance Project (COLAP)
- Selected to the Indiana Super Lawyers List: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Banking & Finance Law: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Real Estate Law: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023
Resources & Insights
- Firm News,
- 6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of 6 attorneys on the 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers® and 2022 Indiana Rising StarsSM lists. Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- 38 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202238 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- 45 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202345 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Congratulate to our 45 attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023!
Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 1979, with honors
Indiana University Bloomington, B.A., 1976