With more 30 years of experience in estate planning and business law, Ann is well aware that she is handling someone’s “baby”, whether that be a blood relative or an enterprise they have nursed from infancy.
While Ann’s clients are typically business owners, senior executives and professionals who appreciate her thoughtful and creative approach to their often complicated personal, tax and financial planning challenges, she works with clients in varying personal and financial situations. She has extensive experience in the preparation and implementation of various estate and succession planning techniques, including wills, revocable trusts, irrevocable life insurance, generation skipping transfer trusts, charitable trusts, family limited partnerships, marital property agreements and powers of attorney. These techniques are often used in combination to help clients achieve their goals of reducing administrative burdens, minimizing taxes, implementing structures to address unique family dynamics, incapacity planning, charitable giving, creditor protection and other benefits.
Ann uses her accounting background to assist closely-held business clients in tax planning, liability protection, ownership and management succession, and other matters. This includes organizational documents, buy-sell and transfer restriction agreements, negotiation and preparation of various other corporate agreements and counsel for ongoing business operations.
In assisting tax exempt organizations, Ann counsels clients across the full life cycle of an organization. These critical milestones include incorporation, obtaining recognition of tax exempt status from the IRS, the structuring of internal policies and procedures to preserve tax exempt status, consultation regarding government regulation, corporate restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, financing and compliance with open records and exemption materials at the local, state and federal levels.
Membership & Involvement
- Amundsen Davis Executive Committee
- Member, Milwaukee Estate Planning Forum (2000 – present)
- Waukesha County Estate Planning Council (2002-present)
- Member, TEMPO Waukesha (2015 – present)
- Advisory Board Member, Marquette University Law School (2012 – present)
- Catholic Community Foundation, Former Chair
- Director, St. Dominic Parish Endowment Fund (2001 – present)
- Herbert Mueller Society Member, Greater Milwaukee Foundation (2009 – present)
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Corporate Law: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Non-Profit/Charities Law: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Trusts and Estates: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to Best Lawyers Milwaukee Non-Profit/Charities Law "Lawyer of the Year": 2014, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© Women in Law: 2017
- Listed as Five Star Financial Services Professional: 2015
Resources & Insights
- When Congress Says, “Never Mind”, Does It Mean It? The latest news regarding changes to the Gift and Estate Tax Laws.Article,
- Family Business Succession Planning in the Era of Tax Uncertainty: Use Available Tax Advantages or Perhaps Lose ThemArticle,
- CARES Act: Historic Senate Legislation to Provide Individuals with Personal Tax Rebates Among Other Tax Advantages (Updated March 27, 2020)Article,
- Speaking Engagement, Radisson Milwaukee West Hotel; Milwaukee, WI,
- Event, State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar Series; Milwaukee, WI,
- Speaking Engagement, Wisconsin Exposition Center at State Fair Park; West Allis, WI,
- Speaking Engagement, State Bar Center; Madison, WI,
- IRS Provides Tax Inflation Adjustments for Tax Year 2022IRS Provides Tax Inflation Adjustments for Tax Year 2022
While Congress is busy debating changes to federal tax law, the IRS continues to operate on the basis of existing provisions. Over the last week, a number of updates have been issued by the IRS regarding inflation adjustments.
- When Congress Says, “Never Mind”, Does It Mean It? The latest news regarding changes to the Gift and Estate Tax Laws.When Congress Says, “Never Mind”, Does It Mean It? The latest news regarding changes to the Gift and Estate Tax Laws.
For nearly a year, various proposals and so-called “frameworks” have been debated in Congress regarding changes to the federal estate and gift tax laws.
- How Might Joe Biden’s Tax Proposals Affect You?How Might Joe Biden’s Tax Proposals Affect You?
On April 28, 2021, President Joe Biden presented his proposed “American Families Plan” in an address to the nation. The address set forth hoped-for “once in a generation” investments focused on benefits to American families.
Marquette University Law School, J.D., cum laude
Marquette University, B.S., with honors