The transportation and litigation market is becoming more sophisticated by the day; higher exposure issues are on the rise. For the last 24 years, Jamie has successfully litigated high exposure and regulatory compliance matters for clients across the U.S. Often described as honest, reliable and conscientious; Jamie has tried nearly 100 jury cases to verdict.
He practices in the areas of commercial transportation and general liability litigation, serving clients in the transportation industry dealing with personal injury claims, risk assessment, best practices, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and DOT requirements. He has achieved successful defense verdicts in matters involving total disability, traumatic brain injury and spoliation of evidence.
As a member of the firm’s Transportation Rapid Response Team, Jamie is responsible for coordinating the securing of evidence, experts, and responding to catastrophic losses throughout Illinois and northern Indiana. Jamie also performs monitoring work as appointed counsel at the request of motor carriers, insurers, excess insurers, and corporations concerning catastrophic and complex losses.
Membership & Involvement
- Claims Association of Greater Chicago (CAGC): Board of Directors; President (2012- 2013)
- General Counsel: Chicagoland Claims Managers Association, 2006-2009
- Northern Illinois Advisory Board: Midwest Truckers Association
- Member: DRI Trucking Law Committee; Illinois Defense Counsel; Illinois State Bar Association; DuPage County Bar Association; Transportation Lawyers Association; Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Resources & Insights
- Article, Amundsen Davis Transportation Alert,
- SmithAmundsen Transportation Alert,
- If At First You Don't Succeed, Try and Try Again: A Broker is Finally Successful at a Federal Preemption ArgumentSmithAmundsen Transportation Alert,
- Litigation 101Speaking Engagement, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance ("CLM"),
- Negotiating Strategies for Claims ProfessionalSpeaking Engagement, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance ("CLM"),
- Emerging Trends Against Commercial Motor CarriersClient Seminar, Salt Lake City, UT,
- Best Practices in Claims Made Against Commercial Motor CarriersClient Seminar, Lombard, IL,
- Case Assessment and Risk EvaluationCLM and Client Seminar,
- Immediate Response Strategies & ValueAmeriClaim Annual Conference, Dallas, TX,
- 30 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists30 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Congratulations to all of our attorneys named to the 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2022 Illinois Rising Stars lists!
- Preemption of Negligent Hiring Claims Against a Freight Broker Upheld by 7th CircuitPreemption of Negligent Hiring Claims Against a Freight Broker Upheld by 7th Circuit
In an important decision for freight brokers, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals recently issued a ruling in Ye v. GlobalTranz Enterprises, Inc., No. 22-1805 (7th Cir. July 18, 2023), which held that a plaintiff’s claim for negligent hiring against a freight broker was preempted by the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act (FAAAA), and was not saved by the “safety exception” of the Act.