At the outset of every case, Joe partners with his client to identify the bigger picture and tailor a case strategy to achieve a positive, cost-effective result. In one of his more memorable cases, Joe defended an architect against claims of negligence and breach of contract. After six weeks of arbitration, with $65 million on the line, Joe helped his clients reach the best possible resolution, with the arbitrator finding no negligence and awarding his client’s fees.
Joe takes great pride in advising a wide array of businesses and professionals in disputes and complex litigation. Joe’s commercial practice includes both outside general counsel work as well as lead litigation counsel in business disputes of all sizes. He frequently represents architects, general contractors and subcontractors in construction litigation and as a member of the firm's Professional Liability Service Group, he defends architects, attorneys, accountants and other professionals in high exposure litigation. Further, he defends employers before the ERD and EEOC, representing business owners and human resource professionals against allegations of discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation. As a member of the Transportation and Logistics Service Group, Joe provides comprehensive litigation services to the transportation industry and advises some of the largest transportation companies on best practices. He also assists with evidence preservation and offers onsite assistance to oversee inspections. Joe also has experience representing clients in the aviation industry in negligence and breach of contract matters.
As co-managing partner of the firm's Milwaukee office, Joe leads a collaborative team of attorneys and staff to deliver bottom line results and exceptional client service.
Membership & Involvement
- Member and former Co-Chair: Amundsen Davis Committee for Diversity and Inclusion
- Member: State Bar of Wisconsin
- Hispanic National Bar Association: Region IX Deputy Regional President; Member
- Marquette Sports Law Review: Former Editor-in-Chief
- Selected to the Wisconsin Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation: 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Litigation - Construction: 2022, 2023
Resources & Insights
- SmithAmundsen Milwaukee Legal Update,
- SmithAmundsen Legal Update,
- Chicago, IL,
- SmithAmundsen, Milwaukee, WI; Webinar,
- Two Peas in a Pod - Keys to an Effective In-House and Outside Counsel RelationshipHNBA Corporate Counsel Conference; Philadelphia, PA,
- Firm News, Amundsen Davis,
- Firm News,
- Super Lawyers,
- SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included in the 2021 Wisconsin Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListSmithAmundsen Attorneys Included in the 2021 Wisconsin Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of Pat Lubenow on the 2021 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® list and Joe Trevino and Luke Behnke on the 2021 Wisconsin Rising Stars list.
- 38 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202238 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- Amundsen Davis Attorneys Included in the 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListAmundsen Davis Attorneys Included in the 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
Amundsen Davis is pleased to announce the inclusion of 22 attorneys on the 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® and 2022 Wisconsin Rising Stars lists.
- 45 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202345 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023
Congratulate to our 45 attorneys on being recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023!
Marquette University Law School, J.D.
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, B.S.