Keith practices in the areas of commercial lending, commercial real estate, and commercial litigation. He has represented businesses and financial institutions in a wide array of complex legal matters.
Keith’s work in commercial lending includes drafting loan documentation and closing loan transactions for middle market commercial, industrial and commercial real estate lenders. He also represents lenders in work-outs and restructurings of problem credits, including structuring and negotiating forbearance agreements and pursuing commercial collections and foreclosures. From time to time, Keith also acts as local counsel for borrowers or lenders in lending transactions involving multi-state collateral, including the preparation of supporting opinions of counsel.
Keith has handled a variety of issues relating to commercial real estate for nationwide lenders and investors, including matters relating to title insurance, land surveys, purchase and sale agreements, and lease agreements. Keith also has experience representing homeowners associations in a variety of contexts, and has successfully resolved HOA complications arising in lending transactions.
As a seasoned litigator with first-chair trial and arbitration experience, Keith has also represented corporate clients and lenders in disputes involving commercial matters, financing agreements, contractual issues, insurance coverage, and a variety of tort claims. Keith has brought scores of disputes to successful resolution. His appellate work is reflected in significant published decisions in the Supreme Court of Indiana and Indiana Court of Appeals.
When he isn’t practicing law, Keith enjoys Indy’s evolving dining and beverage scene, cooking with his family, and working on his golf game. Keith avidly follows the Chicago Blackhawks and the PGA Tour.
Membership & Involvement
- Indianapolis Bar Association: Executive Committee; Business Law Section
- Member: Indiana Bankers Association – Future Leadership Division
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana: Board of Directors; Business Litigation Section; Insurance Coverage Section
- School Committee: Advent Lutheran Church
- Volunteer: Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc.
- Volunteer Judge: American Mock Trial Association, National High School Mock Trial Championship
- Selected to Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Best Lawyers “One to Watch” List: 2021
- Outstanding Young Lawyer of 2019, Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana: 2019
Resources & Insights
- Article, Amundsen Davis Financial Services Alert,
- USLAW Network, Webcast, September 30, 2020 - October 9, 2020
- Indiana Insurance Law Primer: Bad FaithPresenter, DTCI Annual Seminar 2017, Indiana,
- Publication, The Indiana Lawyer,
- Handling Depositions Like a ProfessionalThe Indiana Lawyer,
- Examining the "Special Relationship" and Insurers' Duty of Good Faith and Fair Dealing in IndianaIndiana Civil Litigation Journal, Vol 13,
- DRI Insurance Bad Faith Compendium
- In the Dirt: A Real Estate Legal Update,
- In the Dirt: A Real Estate Legal Update,
- 6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists6 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of 6 attorneys on the 2022 Indiana Super Lawyers® and 2022 Indiana Rising StarsSM lists. Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- 41 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 202241 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2022
Inclusion in this listing is entirely based on peer review and demonstrates that attorneys in each nominee’s respective fields hold these attorneys in high esteem.
- SmithAmundsen Contributes Amicus Brief to a Significant Win for Indiana’s Defense BarSmithAmundsen Contributes Amicus Brief to a Significant Win for Indiana’s Defense Bar
A significant win for the Defense Bar in Indiana, the Court of Appeals also followed the argument in the brief, stating bills are relevant evidence to pain and suffering value regardless of whether the plaintiff pursues a claim towards medical expenses.
- 5 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists5 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2021 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
SmithAmundsen is pleased to announce the inclusion of 5 attorneys on the 2021 Indiana Super Lawyers® and 2021 Indiana Rising StarsSM lists. Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Indiana University - Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude
Bradley University, B.S., 2009, cum laude